Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4408
        Administrator:Lenora Addison-Miles
        Board Staff:Alice DeBorde
        Advice Counsel: VACANT   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

Board of Architectural Examiners

Frequently Asked Professional Practice Questions

1. On individual and corporate seals, the city and state are to be put in the inner circle. Is that the city where I live or where I work?

A. For the individual seal, you need to indicate the city and state in which you reside; for the corporate seal, indicate city and state where the company is located.

2. What are the requirements for sealing design documents in South Carolina?

A.  Seal Requirements (pdf)

3. I am a licensed architect and I have my own licensed firm. I am also an employee of a company where I advise other architects and their firms. The company does not provide architectural services and is not licensed as a firm. How do I seal drawings, on behalf of my employer, if needed? Should the drawings be done as a sole proprietor or through my personal firm?

A.  In order to protect your firm and the employer, the design services and tasks that are separate from the responsibilities defined in the job description should be established. This will distinguish expectations, as well as, prevent overlapping responsibilities. Keep separate timesheets to document and differentiate the personal firm’s work from the work being performed for the employer. Request the employer provide a written statement outlining acceptance of your offering design services for compensation that differs from the compensation you receive as an employee.


Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)