Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4686
        Administrator:Roger K. Lowe
        Board Staff:Rhonda Jackson
        Board Staff:Faith Howell
        Board Staff:Chanda Davis
        Board Staff:Lee English
        Board Staff:Carol Paquet
        Board Staff:Shakera Thomas
        Board Staff:Yolanda Barnes
        Advice Counsel:   Georgia Lewis   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board

Frequently Asked Questions Regarding Renewal Applications

Who is my qualifying party?

The person who passed your technical exam(s).

What does "classification” mean beside the qualifying party?

This is the classification of the exam the qualifying party passed: i.e., Building, General Roofing, Plumbing, Air Conditioning, etc.

Why is the license number listed on my renewal application different than the number listed on my certificate?

The number listed on your qualifying party certificate is not your license number. Look on your wallet card for your license number. The qualifying party certificate represents the qualifying party's exam information - not the licensee information.

Why is the license limitation listed on my renewal different than the limitation listed on my qualifying party certificate?

The qualifying party certificate represents the exam passed (limited or unlimited) - not the dollar limitation of your license.

Will you accept a bond instead of a financial statement?

No. We will only accept financial statements.

If I just got my license issued or upgraded recently, do I still need to submit a financial statement?

Yes. You must submit a financial statement. You may submit the same financial statement as long as it is not older than 12 months.

Have the requirements to upgrade to unlimited changed recently?

No. The requirements listed on the renewal form are for renewals only. You still must submit an audited financial statement the initial time you upgrade to unlimited.

Will you accept a compiled financial statement instead of a reviewed financial statement for licensees currently in Group #5?

No. The law specifically states a reviewed financial statement in required. No exceptions will be made.

What if I don't want to submit a reviewed financial statement or I don't meet the required net worth for Group #5?

You may submit a self prepared financial statement (signed and notarized) and write on the renewal form beside the current classification/limitation that you want to downgrade to a lower limit and indicate what limit you desire.

If I downgrade to a lower limit, what is required to upgrade back to Group #5?

To upgrade back to group #5 you must submit a revision document (180) along with an Audited Financial Statement as outlined in Section 40-11-260 (D).

Does my renewal application have to be notarized?


Does it have to be notarized by a South Carolina notary?


If my CPA or Public Accountant prepared my financial statement does it have to be signed and notarized?

No. As long as you include the cover sheet from the CPA or Public Accountant.

Do I have to use the financial statement form that came with my renewal application?

No. You may use other forms or generate a balance sheet using your program. However, if it is self prepared, it still needs to be signed and notarized.

Who do I make my check payable to?

S.C. Contractors Licensing Board.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)