Today's Date:

Licensure Information
Licensee Lookup
Licensure with the Board
Applications and Forms
Renew Your License
Change Your Address
Application status
Print copy of your license

Related Links

Complaint/Board Order Information
Board Orders
File a Complaint
What Can I Expect When a Complaint is Filed Against Me?

Board Information/Laws and Policies
FOIA Requests
Board Members
Board Meeting Calendar

Contact Us

Telephone: (803) 896-4686

Roger K. Lowe

Rhonda Jackson
Program Coordinator

Melissa Burroughs
Program Assistant

Faith Howell
Administrative Assistant

Chanda Davis
Administrative Assistant

Lee English
Administrative Assistant

Carol Paquet
Administrative Assistant

Georgia Lewis
Advice Counsel to the Board

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels, as well as their administrative staff.
These attorneys do not provide legal advice to
parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Contractor's Licensing Board

Determining if a License is Required and What Type

Please read the following information to determine if a contractor's license is required by the South Carolina Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation.

*General and Mechanical Contractors License *

· A General or Mechanical Contractors license is required for anyone performing "commercial” construction over $5000 in the regulated classifications listed in Title 40, Chapter 11, Section 40-11-410, An Act to Regulate the Practice of General and Mechanical Contracting in S.C.

To be eligible to obtain the license, you must pass a technical exam (when required), a business management/law exam and be able to document 2 years of experience within the last 5 years for the classification(s) of work in which you are applying.

Please see How to Apply for a License for additional documentation needed for licensure.

*South Carolina Residential Builders Commission*

For single and two family residences and apartment buildings up to 16 units and three stories in height, licenses and registrations are required for certain trades.

 All residential licenses require passing an examination and include:
* Building;
* Plumbing;
* Electrical; and,

Registrations do not require passing an examination and include.
* Painting;
* Vinyl / Aluminum Siding;
* Insulation;
* Roofing;
* Floor Covering;
* Masonry / Concrete;
* Drywall;
* Carpentry; and,
* Wallpaper.

For further information concerning residential licenses and registrations, call 803 896 4696 or go to:

*Municipal Association of South Carolina*

The Municipal Association of South Carolina (MASC) is a trade certification program - not a licensing agency of the State. MASC offers various trade certifications in the construction industry. The MASC trade certification cards do not serve as a license to perform any type of construction for residential work over $200 or for commercial work over $5000. Contact (803) 799-9574 for information.

If you passed the Master Plumber or Master Electrician exam after 01/01/1990, or the Master Mechanical/HARV exam after 09/06/2013, you will not be required to take a technical exam. However, you must take the S.C. Business Management and Law exam to obtain a license. For more information, see: How to Apply for a License, "How to Apply for a License by Waiver".

Please also refer to An Act to Regulate the Practice of General and Mechanical Contracting in S.C., Section 40-11-410, to determine what type of work requires licensure.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Directions | Site Map | Privacy | Disclaimer | Customer Satisfaction Survey | Contact Us | Other Languages
Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)

The S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is pleased to provide various publications in portable document format (PDF).
You will need Adobe Reader to view and print these publications.