Telephone: (803) 896-4800 Molly Price Theresa Garner Hardwick Stuart
Fax: (803) 896-4424
Advice Counsel to the Board
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels, as well as their administrative staff.
These attorneys do not provide legal advice to
parties outside LLR.
Telephone: (803) 896-4800
Each registered forester is required to acquire a total of 10 Continuing Foresters Education (CFE) credits annually. A minimum of five must be acquired in Category 1. A maximum of five credits in categories 2-6 may be carried over for one year.
Any activity documentation may be submitted to the Board of Registration for Foresters for approval. Licensees are requested to submit requests prior to attendance of a program. However, if the Society of American Foresters approves a program for CFE, the Board will also approve same.
S.C. Code of Regulations 53-20. Continuing Education Requirements.
(1) Continuing Forestry Education: Each registered forester is required to meet the Continuing Education Requirements of the Board of Registration prior to registration renewal each year.
(2) Annual Requirements: A total of 10 Continuing Forestry Education credits is required annually, of which a minimum of 5 must be in Category 1.
(3) CFE Credit Categories:
Category 1--Organized course work or activities in forestry or forestry related subject matter. Each hour of actual lecture or program will qualify for one CFE credit with three hours of tour or field session equal to one CFE credit.
Category 2--Other organized course work or activities not specifically forestry or forestry related, but which are beneficial to the individual in carrying out the practice of forestry. Credit is allowed at the same rate as for Category 1.
Category 3--The development preparation and presentation of course work described in Category 1 or 2, which is beyond the scope of an individual's normal job requirements. Two hours credit is allowed for each hour of presentation.
Category 4--The preparation, writing and publication of forestry or forestry related subject matter, which is beyond the scope of the individual's normal job requirements, two credit hours will be allowed for material of substantial nature in magazines, newspapers or similar publications. Five hours will be allowed by the Board of Registration for Foresters for any book or technical article requiring technical review.
Category 5--Self-improvement in forestry or related subjects includes self-improvement through publications, audiovisual presentations, or participation in meetings of forestry related committees (i.e., Foresters Council, State Board of Registration for Foresters, etc.). One credit hour allowed for each hour of activity.
Category 6--Holding elected or appointed office or position in forestry or forestry related organization. One credit allowed per year for each position.
(4) Reports and Records: Each registrant shall report on a form provided by the Board, the activities undertaken to meet the requirements for Continuing Forestry Education.
The registrant shall maintain a file of documentation for activities for a period of 5 years after the date of the program. Such documentation shall be provided to the Board of Registration upon request.
(5) Approval of Activities:
(a) Any activity approved for CFE credit by the Society of American Foresters Continuing Forestry Education Program.
(b) An activity documentation may be submitted to the Board of Registration for Foresters for approval. The Board may rely on a committee of registered foresters chosen by the Board for determination or may rely on credit granted by other organizations. In any case the decision by the Board will be final.
(6) Non Compliance: An individual who does not meet the CFE requirements shall be placed on a probationary status for 6 months. Failure to complete the requirements during that period will result in cancellation of registration and prohibition from practicing forestry in South Carolina.
(7) Reinstatement to Active Registration: An individual wishing to have registration restored must complete the following requirements for continuing Forestry Registration in addition to other requirements required by the Board.
(a) Registration lapse of 1-3 years: Complete the CFE requirements for a minimum of one year prior to application for registration.
(b) Registration lapse of 4-10 years: Complete the current CFE requirements for a minimum of two years credits during the 18 months preceding the application for reinstatement.
(c) Registration lapse of 11 or more years: Completion of the examination required for initial licensing.
(8) Waivers: Any individual may request in writing a waiver of the requirements by the Board. If, in the judgment of the Board, the waiver is justified, it may be granted on a yearly basis.
(9) New Registrants: An individual registered during a year will be required to meet CFE requirements for renewal following the first renewal after initial registration.
(10) Carry-over Credits: A maximum of 5 credits in categories 2-6 may be carried over for one year, except that award of a CFE certificate by the Society of American Foresters may qualify for the individual's CFE requirement for two following years.
(a) Individuals registered to practice forestry in another state and who meet Continuing Forestry Education requirements for that state equal to or greater than those in South Carolina.
(b) Periods of time the individual is serving on active duty in the Armed Forces of the United States for periods longer than 180 consecutive days.