Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4588
        Administrator:Theresa Brown
        Advice Counsel:   Georgia Lewis   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Massage/Bodywork Panel

Frequently Asked Questions

How can I become a massage therapist?

You must complete 500 hours of massage therapy school and pass the National Certification Examination or the Federation of States Exam for Massage Therapy. Once you have done that, you may submit your application with the requested information and the appropriate fee.

Once I become licensed, what is required to renew the license?

When a license is initially obtained, it will need to be renewed the following renewal cycle. Licenses are renewed every two years at which time 12 hours of continuing education must be obtained. (Continuing education is waived for the first renewal.)

How do I know what type of continuing education classes I need to take?

You may take any class which is approved by one of the national associations, approved massage therapy schools or persons who have been approved by the Panel.

If I have a massage therapy license in another state, can I become licensed in South Carolina?

If the requirements for licensure in that state are at least equal or greater than our requirements, reciprocity could be granted. However, if you took a state exam instead of the National Certification Exam or the Federation of State Exam, our Panel would need to review the exam or an outline of that exam before reciprocity could be granted.


Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Directions | Site Map | Privacy | Disclaimer | Customer Satisfaction Survey | Contact Us | Other Languages
Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)

The S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is pleased to provide various publications in portable document format (PDF).
You will need Adobe Reader to view and print these publications.