Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Respiratory Care Committee
          Acupunture Advisory Committee
          Physician Assistant Committee
          Licensee Lookup
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4500
        Administrator:Sheridon Spoon
        Advice Counsel:   Adam Russell (Discipline)   **
        Advice Counsel:   Darra Coleman (Policy)   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Board of Medical Examiners

Respiratory Care Practitioners Frequently Asked Questions

How long is the application process?

Depending on the applicant and how many other state licensee the applicant has. It can take longer to complete the application for someone who has several license verses someone who only has one or two state licenses. The Approximate time for processing is about 2-4 weeks.

You can check the status of your application online from the Board's online services

Can I get a Temporary license pending the process of my application?

No. The Board only issues temporary license after the application is fully complete and all supporting documents have been received.

What if I don't have a place of employment or a Medical Director in South Carolina?

The Board will issue a temporary license number. However, you cannot begin working until you have notified the Board in writing of where you are going to be working and who the medical director is at that facility.

Can I work as a student until I get my license?

No. In order to practice as a student, you must be currently enrolled in a program pursuing a degree in Respiratory Care.

Can I provide a copy my state license (from other states) in lieu of getting a verification directly from that state board?

No. All verification of other state license must come directly from the state board that issued the license.

How do I know if the CME program that I am taking is acceptable by the Board?

See the 2017-2019 Respiratory Care Practitioner Renewal document.

The following CME Programs are recognized by this Board:

American Association for Respiratory Care, or its sponsoring organizations:

American Thoracic Society
American College of Chest Physicians
American Society of Anesthesiologists
American Heart Association
The Society for Critical Care Medicine
The American Lung Association
The South Carolina Society for Respiratory Care
South Carolina Area Health Education Consortium (AHEC)

Accredited institutional continuing education programs:

Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education
American Nurses Credentialing Center's Commission on Accreditation

Back to Top

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.
Privacy | Disclaimer | Other Languages | Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)