Today's Date:
Board Meetings
          Board Members
          Licensure with the Board
          Applications and Forms
          Renew Your License
          Change Your Address
          Application status
          Print copy of your license
          Laws and Policies
          Publications / News
          FOIA Requests
          Related Links
Complaints / Board Orders
          File a Complaint
          Board Orders
          What can I expect when a complaint
          is filed against me?
Contact Us
        Board Phone:(803) 896-4259
        Administrator:Molly Price
        Board Staff:Tyler Kritz
        Advice Counsel:   Georgia Lewis   **
        Directions:110 Centerview Dr, Columbia SC

**The Office of Advice Counsel is responsible for
providing legal advice to all Boards, Commissions
and Panels. These attorneys do not provide legal
advice to parties outside LLR.

South Carolina Board of Pyrotechnic Safety

Frequently Asked Questions

How old do you have to be to purchase fireworks?
South Carolina State Law states that no person under the age of sixteen (16) shall be sold permissible fireworks.

Can I sell fireworks from a tent?
No. State law prohibits the retail sale of consumer fireworks from a tent, canopy and membrane structures.

Can I sell fireworks from a vehicle?
No. Fireworks cannot be sold from vehicles such as cars, vans, buses or any other motor driven vehicle.

How can I tell if a fireworks stand is approved to sell fireworks in South Carolina?
An approved firework stand is issued two (2) permits. One is posted on the outside of the stand and the other is posted inside the stand, along with a retail license.

What type of retail fireworks stores does South Carolina permit?
South Carolina permits four types including:

  1. CFRS (Consumer Fireworks Retail Sale) permits are valid for one year and expire August 31 of each year.
  2. Store (i.e. Wal-Mart, K-Mart) permits are valid for one year and expire August 31 of each year.
  3. Permanent Stand (not removed from the property after the fireworks season) permits are valid for one year and expire August 31 of each year.
  4. Temporary Stand (removed from the property after the season) permits are valid for 90 days from the issue date.

What is the permit fee for a fireworks stand?
The fees vary.  The permit fee for a temporary stand is $100. The fee for a permanent stand is $200.

Are M-80s and Cherry Bombs legal in South Carolina?
No. Those types of fireworks have been prohibited by Federal Law since 1966. Firecrackers sold to the public in the U.S. can only have 50 milligrams or less of pyrotechnic composition per firecracker. A true M-80 contains much more than 50 milligrams, and is therefore illegal.

Can illegal fireworks be taken away?
Yes. Illegal fireworks (M-80s and Cherry Bombs) as well as fireworks from an unlicensed stand can be confiscated by law enforcement or the State Fire Marshal.

How do I make a complaint regarding a fireworks facility?
Please complete a complaint form by visiting the S.C. State Fire Marshal website.

Synergy Business Park; Kingstree Building
110 Centerview Dr.
Columbia, S.C. 29210
(803) 896-4300 | Office Hours: 8:30 a.m.- 5:00 p.m.

Directions | Site Map | Privacy | Disclaimer | Customer Satisfaction Survey | Contact Us | Other Languages
Report State Agency Fraud (Office of the Inspector General)

The S.C. Department of Labor, Licensing and Regulation is pleased to provide various publications in portable document format (PDF).
You will need Adobe Reader to view and print these publications.