REQUIREMENTS FOR REGISTRATION BY EXAMINATION:
Exam candidates will no longer apply to the South Carolina Board to be admitted to the ARE.
In October 2008, the South Carolina Board adopted NCARB's Direct Registration program which allows exam candidates who meet South Carolina requirements to apply directly to NCARB to begin taking the ARE.
NCARB Direct Registration: You will work directly with the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) during the Architectural Experience Program (AXP) training and completion of the Architect Registration Examination (ARE). Your Council Record will be sent to the SC Board (or another Board of your choosing) upon your successful completion of all divisions of the ARE and the AXP. Upon receipt, we will send you instructions about the forms and fees required to complete the process of becoming licensed here.
ARE EARLY ENTRY
South Carolina law changed in June 2008 to allow interns to begin taking the ARE before completing AXP.
The law now allows interns who have completed an accredited degree, who are enrolled in AXP and are actively participating in AXP, and who are employed by an architectural firm to begin taking the ARE. The law still requires completion of AXP prior to licensure. Section 40-3-240 (C)
TO SIT FOR THE EXAMINATION, you must have:
- Completed a professional architecture degree from a college or university accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) or the Canadian Architectural Certification Board (CACB)
- Established an NCARB Record and be actively participating in AXP or have completed AXP
- If you have met NCARB's and SC's Education Requirement and have established a Council Record, you should go to the "Ready to take the ARE?" portion of NCARB's website http://www.ncarb.org/are/areready.aspx to start the testing process
- Notify the examination administrator (Prometric) that you are eligible to sit for the examination.
- Send your exam score reports to you
- Continue to evaluate and record your Training Units under AXP
- Notify you about procedures for scheduling the examination. Fees for the examination are paid directly to Prometric.
- Send your exam scores to NCARB
- Accept address changes
ONCE YOU HAVE SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED ALL SECTIONS OF THE EXAMINATION AND AXP:
- Authorize NCARB to transmit your Record to the South Carolina Board
- Notify the Board office that you are eligible for registration.
- Send your entire NCARB Record to the SC Board
THE BOARD WILL.....
- Notify you of the forms and fees necessary to complete licensure here.
- Review your application and Record at the next regularly scheduled Board meeting
- If approved, issue your license