Notice of Election - Accepting Nominations for Board Members
This notice serves to announce an election for the South Carolina Board of Examiners in Opticianry. The South Carolina Opticianry Practice Act states that the Board consists of seven members. Five members must be licensed opticians appointed by the Governor upon nomination by all licensed opticians in this State through an election conducted by the Board (S.C. Code of Law §40-38-10.
- September 13, 2023 – September 13, 2027: William “Grant” Brown currently holds the seat and is eligible for re-election.
- September 13, 2023 – September 13, 2027: James “Jimmy” Rhodes currently holds the seat and is eligible for re-election.
*Candidates and voters for election must have a current license to practice as an optician in South Carolina.
- All candidates for election, including incumbents, must be nominated on an official petition form signed by not less than 10 South Carolina licensed opticians qualified to vote in the election.
- Official Petition Form must include original signatures.
- Petitions to place nominees on the ballot must be received in this office no later than September 22, 2023. Petitions received after that date will not be considered for this election. Petitions sent by fax will not be accepted. Petitions may be mailed to the Board office or scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org
- If three or more candidates are nominated, then ballots will be prepared with the names of nominees in alphabetical order and sent to each optician licensed in South Carolina. Voters will be given approximately 30 days to return ballot by mail to the Board office or scanned and emailed to email@example.com. Ballots sent by fax will not be accepted.
- After the election is completed, the Board administrator will certify in writing to the Governor the names of the top two candidates.
Deadline date for the Board to receive petitions is September 22, 2023.