Frequently Asked Architect Licensure Questions

1. How can I become a registered architect in the state of South Carolina?

A. To be eligible for licensure in South Carolina by reciprocity, you must hold a current Certificate from the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB) as well as a current, unrestricted license to practice in another state or territory (Statute 40-3-230 & Regulation 11-7).

All applicants for licensure by reciprocity must hold a Certificate of qualification issued by the National Council of Architectural Registration Boards (NCARB). Please have NCARB transmit your Council Record to the Board Office electronically. You can request to have your NCARB Council Record transmitted by linking to their website, then click on "My NCARB" and follow the instructions for record transmittals

[Note: At this site, you may also find the status of your NCARB record, change your address, and pay your NCARB renewal.]

Send the completed Board application (Statute 40-3-240 and Regulation 11-7) and the $190 application/registration fee (Regulation 11-5) (made payable to LLR-Architectural Board) to the Board office for processing (see address below). Your application will be held pending receipt of your NCARB Council Record.

S.C. Board of Architectural Examiners
Post Office Box 11419
110 Centerview Drive (29210)
Columbia, SC 29211-1419

2. After South Carolina receives my NCARB Record and my application for reciprocity, how long does it take for me to become registered in South Carolina?

A. Once the application and Council record are received, it usually takes two weeks for the Board to process your application, provided there are no problems with the application.

3. I plan to do only one architectural project in the State of South Carolina.Does South Carolina offer a temporary license?

A. No

4. I do not have NCARB Certification; can I apply directly to South Carolina for reciprocal registration?

A. No.

5. Is firm registration required?

A. Yes.Section 40-3-270 provides that an architect practicing in his or her own name who does not employ another architect is exempt from this requirement.For example, John Doe, Architect, would not be required to register as a firm. However, John Doe, Architects, or John Doe Associates, or Doe Associates or similar firm names would be required to register as an architectural firm.

6. On individual and corporate seals, the city and state are to be put in the inner circle.Is that the city where I live or where I work?

A. For the individual seal, you need to indicate the city and state in which you reside; for the corporate seal, indicate city and state where the company is located.

7. What are the requirements for sealing design documents in South Carolina?

A. Seal Requirements.