The Auctioneers' Commission is now using PSI Exams to provide the Auctioneers' Exams. Once applicants have submitted a completed application they will receive information on how to register for the exam. Applicants will pay the $25 exam fee directly to the provider.
All applicants must submit a completed license application prior to taking the examination. No examination is required if the application is for a reciprocal Auctioneer license or the applicant is already a licensed Auctioneer in this state and is the qualifying person for an Auction Firm license.
The easiest way to register to take an exam is through PSI's website, psionline.com and look for South Carolina information.
You can also call PSI at 1-855-746-8173. If an applicant experiences difficulty in reaching PSI on the telephone due to a large amount of applicants calling at the same time, the best time to call is between 5:00 p.m. and 8:00 p.m. eastern time.
If an applicant desires to take an exam in another state other than South Carolina, the applicant should call 1-855-746-8173, press star and ask for a supervisor to schedule a South Carolina exam in another state. PSI will overnight all of the plans to the test site, and the applicant may take the test at that site.
Auctioneer: Examination Fee $25
Apprentice Auctioneer: Examination fee $25
The Auctioneer examination shall test the applicant’s knowledge of:
1. Fundamentals of auctioneering, auctioneer contracts, bid calling, advertisement, ethical practices, and mathematics relating to the auction business
2. The SC Auctioneer Law (located under the “Laws/Policies” section of the website)
3. The SC Uniform Commercial Code as it relates to auction and bulk sales (located under the “Applications and Forms” section of the website)
4. Regulations of the SC Auctioneers' Commission (located under the “Laws/Policies” section of the website)
The Apprentice Auctioneer examination shall test the applicant's knowledge of:
1. Fundamentals of auctioneering, advertisement, ethical practices and mathematics relating to the auction business
2. The SC Auctioneer Law and Regulations (located under the “Laws/Policies” section of the website)
*****EXAMINEES MAY BRING A CALCULATOR*****
Q. Must I take a test to become a licensed auctioneer, apprentice auctioneer or auction firm?
Yes. Except if you are applying for a reciprocal license or you are licensed as an Auctioneer in this state and are the qualifying person for an auction firm license. The Commission does not reciprocate apprentice auctioneers or auction firm licenses.