- Please allow 7-10 business days before checking your application status online at Online Applications, then click on Application Status.
- Applicants should keep a copy of any application and attachments filed with this office.
- Applications not completed will be returned.
- If the social security number is not provided or incorrect, the application will be returned.
- An affidavit of Experience Form will be mailed to the employer/supervisor you have listed on your application.
- Must show 1 year of experience, in Section "Work Experience” of the application, under the builder, electrician or general contractor who signed the affidavit.
- The application processing fee is due at the time you submit your application to our office.
- All new applicants must submit a certified check or money order.
- Any personal or company checks will result in your application being returned.
- Applicants are required to answer all the questions either Yes or No.
- If any question is answered "Yes” and no information is attached, the application will be returned.
- If any question is left unanswered, the application will be returned.
- A state criminal history or sled report is needed for any yes answer to a criminal offense.
PLEASE CLICK HERE TO ACCESS THE ONLINE APPLICATION
- The examinations are administered using computer based testing technology.
- Examination candidates will be tested at a testing site that is administered by PSI.
- Applicants' legal name is required on applications to insure no delays when scheduling to take the exam with PSI.
- Applications must be submitted in complete order before an eligibility letter for examination can be approved for scheduling. The processing steps are as follows:
- Applications meeting all requirements and payment of fees are received.
- Applications are reviewed for accuracy and completeness.
- Applications that are incomplete and/or have credit discrepancies will be returned.
- All applicants applying for licensure must submit to a credit report.
- The applicant will schedule his/her exam and make payment to PSI.
- After passing the exam submit your test results, license fee (certified check or money order) and surety bond (original copy signed with the power of attorney if work will exceed $5,000) to our office. This link will take you to the Bond Form: Bond Form.
- The license can be obtained without examination if the applicant is a current South Carolina Commercial Mechanical Contractor in the required field; or has a Masters License issued by examination from the Municipal Association of S.C.
- Examination preparatory courses and seminars are offered by individuals, businesses, and technical schools or community colleges.
- The licensing board for Residential Builders is not affiliated with any of these individuals, and the board does not sponsor, approve or recommend any school, examination preparatory course or seminars.