- Please allow 7-10 business days before checking your application status online at Online Applications, then click on Application Status.
- Applicants should keep a copy of any application and attachments filed with this office.
- Applications not found in complete order will be returned.
- If the social security number is not provided or incorrect, the application will be returned.
- An affidavit of Experience Form will be mailed to the employer/supervisor you have listed on your application.
- Must show 1 year of experience, in Section "Work Experience" of the application, under the builder or general contractor or Plumber who signed the affidavit.
- The application processing fee is due at the time you submit your application to our office.
- All new applicants must submit a certified check or money order.
- Any personal or company checks will result in your application being returned.
- Applicants are required to answer all the questions either Yes or No.
- If any question is answered "Yes" and no information is attached, the application will be returned.
- If any question is left unanswered, the application will be returned.
- A state criminal history or sled report is needed for any yes answer to a criminal offense.
- The examinations are administered using computer based testing technology.
- Examination candidates will be tested at a testing site that is administered by PSI.
- Applicant's legal name is required on applications to insure no delays when scheduling to take the exam with PSI.
- Applications must be submitted in complete order before an eligibility letter for examination can be approved for scheduling. The processing steps are as follows:
- Applications meeting all requirements and payment of fees are received.
- Applications are reviewed for accuracy and completeness.
- Applications that are incomplete and/or have credit discrepancies will be returned.
- All applicants applying for licensure must submit to a credit report.
- The applicant will schedule his/her exam and make payment to PSI.
- After passing the exam submit your test results, license fee (certified check or money order) and surety bond (original copy signed with the power of attorney) to our office if the work will exceed $5,000.
- The license can be obtained without examination if the applicant is a current South Carolina Commercial Mechanical Contractor in the required field; or has a Masters License issued by examination from the Municipal Association of S.C.
- Examination preparatory courses and seminars are offered by individuals, businesses, and technical schools or community colleges.
- The licensing board for Residential Builders is not affiliated with any of these individuals, and the board does not sponsor, approve or recommend any school, examination preparatory course or seminars.