Temporary Licensure for Residential Swimming Pools
On July 20, 2023, the Contractor's Licensing Board authorized the issuance of Temporary General Contractor's Licenses with the Swimming Pools Classification to qualifying builders who were actively engaged in the business of installing, servicing, or repairing residential pools in South Carolina prior to May 19, 2023. These temporary licenses are intended to allow individuals and entities who were lawfully installing, servicing, or repairing residential pools without a license prior to the enactment of the licensure requirement to maintain their business operations and meet pre-existing contractual obligations while providing them a reasonable opportunity to comply with the examination requirements for active licensure.
Applications for Temporary General Contractor's Licenses with the Swimming Pools Classification were accepted from August 1, 2023 through September 30, 2023. All temporary licenses will automatically expire six (6) months from the date of issuance. The Board will not accept applications that are postmarked, emailed, or hand-delivered after September 30, 2023.
To qualify for a temporary license, applicants must have been actively engaged in the business of installing, servicing, or repairing residential pools in South Carolina prior to May 19, 2023. Applicants were required to submit proof that they met this qualification before a temporary license was issued.
Prior to expiration, any temporary licensee wishing to continue performing work in the Swimming Pools Classification may either:
- Submit a written request for active licensure that includes:
- Doc #168 and all required supporting documentation for the designated primary qualifying party. If the designated primary qualifying party is already a certificate holder for an active CLG license, please submit Doc #181.
- PSI score sheets showing passage of both the S.C. swimming pools technical exam and the S.C. Business Management and Law for Commercial Contractors exam.
Registering to take the PSI examinations: You must pass the PSI- SWIMMING POOLS EXAM and the PSI- SC BUSINESS MANAGEMENT AND LAW FOR COMMERCIAL CONTRACTORS EXAM. Registering for PSI exams:
To register for the exam, contact PSI at (855) 746-8173 to "schedule the S.C. Commercial Contractors exam"; or register online at PSI Exams website as follows:
- Select: VIEW AVAILABLE TESTS
- Select: SC Commercial Contractor
- Select: LOGIN/REGISTER to create an account
- Select your exams on this page and "Continue Booking"
- Download the PSI Candidate Information Bulletin for information on the exam content for each specific exam, books, study materials, and seminar resources.
- Direct all exam questions (i.e. locations, dates, study materials, special accommodations, etc.) to PSI at (855) 746-8173
- You will receive your exam results the same day to be submitted with your application